Saturday 8 December 2012

Disability School Party

Yesterday the term finished for the disability school, and so to celebrate, we had an end of year party, inviting the parents/families of the students along too. NVS put some money towards it, and so we had hot dogs, biscuits, juice and balloons, as well as some bits for the families to take home.

Fortunately all 5 students were able to make it, unlike the previous 2 days where we only had 1 person due to a broken wheelchair, seizure and the weather making it difficult for this in wheelchairs to get to school. The school now has a teacher, who started about 2 weeks ago, up until then, the students were taught by volunteers only, which is quite challenging as they are not all good with English. The party was the first opportunity the parents had to meet the teacher, so there were a lot of introductions to be done, volunteers and NVS staff included.

There were plenty of hot dogs to go around, and even some to go to the kids playing outside the school. Unfortunately I managed to forget my camera yet again, so I've only got a couple of pictures from my phone, though I have a load of pictures from the day before, when Collins got hold of my camera.

Given the chance, Martin would have probably eaten all the hot dogs in front of him. He had his fair share though! Wouldn't even stop to answer us when we asked if the food was good:
Gertrude and Elizabeth listening to Jack's speech before we eat:
The kids playing outside the school:
Group photo of the staff, volunteers, students and families (stolen from Josh's Facebook, thanks!):


After the party, we helped to clear up, as the school would be closed for a month. Then one of the staff, Dan, invited us back to his home in Kibera for a drink - nonalcoholic on this occasion, but we aagreed we'll be back for a proper drink soon.


On another topic, my new favourite place to get a burger is Steers. Recommended by a former volunteer a few weeks ago, I finally got round to going. Unfortunately, as with most places, it lacks bacon. I guess I'll have to find some and take my own when I go to get a burger!


No comments:

Post a Comment